Saturday 6 October 2012

29 Days No fixation

Hey Everyone!

Just an update on how I am doing. The external fixture  has been off for 29 days now, and I have been in runners, without crutches for 12 days. Since I have been walking without crutches, I experienced a lot of unbearable pain in my heel, mainly a stabbing pain which shoots up into my ankle. It made it hard exercise the foot, so I finally went to see an Osteopath and have been given some exercises which have helped so much already! I was already doing steps 1 and 2, however I was told to increase them to build up more strength.

My exercises include:

1. Regular stretches of my achilles and calf muscle. Stand facing a wall, about a foot away and stretch the brachy foot/leg. I hold this for about 30 seconds, then do step 2 and then repeat this step.

2. Heel raises. Stand facing the wall about a foot away and lift your heels off the ground (I think this feels weird because you can feel the new bone in the front of your foot), do about 20 reps.

3. Balancing. I try stand on the operated foot, at first I found this very difficult, but in only 3 days my ankle already feels stronger and there is less pain. My Osteo suggested doing this while doing something else, e.g. brushing your teeth, this makes you focus on balancing because it requires more effort.

I do these about 3-4 times a day :). Less than two more weeks of runners to go! I am so excited :D

I hope you are all well and I would love to hear your stories!
N

3 comments:

  1. Its so good to hear how you are going. Glad the exercise are helping. I have found them to be invaluable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) I am so happy, I am finally walking with no pain at all! although I still have a slightly weird walk. :) I'm so glad you're going well too! It's finally over!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Nadia............my blog as you requested!
    bilateralbrachygal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete