Thursday 6 September 2012

Anxious

Hey!

Today is supposedly my last day with the metal fixture on my foot!! I'm so nervous for tomorrow (incase the fracture hasn't healed fully or it just isn't ready to come off)...but I am hoping for the best! I'm so excited that I might be rid of the fixture, I have lived with to for 93 days! I cannot wait to be able to sleep comfortably, without my leg having to be propped up on a pillow or waking up because it was caught on my blankets and being able to stand in the shower or go swimming and most of all not be cooped up in the house! and most of all NO MORE CRUTCHES! I can not express how much I have grown to hate my crutches, always falling and constant struggle to do normal activities with them.

To those of you who are considering this surgery I'd like to give you my opinion on which season to have the operation in.

Summer:
Positives
  • I have read that being warm makes things heal faster, and in turn will result in less time with the fixture on. Although my first foot did not heal incredibly fast I think it was better than having my foot always "looking like a corpse", as my sister would say.
  • Getting dressed is SO MUCH EASIER. You can throw on a dress or pair of shorts so much easier than trying to get into trackies or tights as I did on occasion (I had to cut a slit in the bottom to get them off).
  • I was a little scared for a while after my operation that someone would step on my feet and crush them if I wore open toed shoes, so going straight into winter allows your feet to gain extra strength while in closed shoes, making them EXTRA ready for summer time sandals. 
Negatives
  • You're more likely to miss out on going somewhere with friends/family, which can make you feel more depressed throughout the weeks. (But stay positive, if I made it, You can)
  • The sunshine makes you go crazy when you are stuck inside
Winter:
Positives:

  • Normally when its cold out I want to be inside and not get out of bed anyway, so it made me feel better about staying home all the time and watching movies all day!
  • You don't get as hot walking around on crutches (maybe its just me but walking with them makes me never feel cold)
  • By the time summer comes your feet will be all new and ready to be shown!
Negatives
  • Clothing as I said above, especially if you have to go somewhere kind of dressy... there really isn't much you can wear.
  • I found my foot had more pain in winter, because the metal goes straight into the bone when its cold your insides are cold! I found my muscles cramped more and it just hurt more.
  • I had to cut socks in an attempt to keep my toes warm, it helped a little but they were still pretty cold and "corpse looking"
I hope this helped you a little in your decision to have the corrective surgery! If your doubly unlucky like me and have it on both feet, just know there are positives and negatives for both, and just keep a positive mind!

N

No comments:

Post a Comment